Tuesday 11 November 2008

injury strikes (that's a pun...)

after months of preparation there is only so much you can do to prevent random injuries from happening. in fact, if you made a list of 'dangerous' activities, i would bet that going bowling would not be very high up that list. despite that, i managed to suffer an injury at bowling. this one really was not my fault. a friend from work in japan who had recently moved back to america came through town for a conference at the weekend. we went out for a rowdy night of food and drink and then headed to the bowling alley. for some unknown reason my friend decided he had to show me his love through the medium of a hug/tackle. while i was looking the other way (literally minutes before i was preparing to leave) his large frame made contact with my more slight frame and we both fell to the ground. as we did so his knee landed square on my foot and i felt the crack straight away. sure enough, it swelled up nicely and when i went to the doctor on monday he confirmed it was fractured on the knuckle at the base of my big toe. at least it was not a clean break, but with only 2 weeks until the nagoya city half-marathon it is not good!

rest and using lots of 'shippu' to treat it are basically the only things I can do.

can't remember how i bowled, but am sure i must have won!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment